Friday 17 September 2010

Rowing Camp

Yesterday afternoon in the cold rainy Vermont rowing camp I had my first experience in the scull(one person row boat). I had dreaded it was the time to go overboard and attempt to get back in. What a disaster. I got on the scull from the dock and was so happy to have accomplished it that I forgot the coach was going to tip me over. Happily day dreaming about rowing got me into trouble because tip me over she did and I was so shocked that I lost my breath-I think I swallowed water while under and I just couldn't catch my breath. But after about a minute I was ready to try and I did try a few times to get back into the skull but I couldn't. Over dinner many of the rowers who had done it had done it by a different method which I will try next. I was afraid I would freeze in the water but the water felt warm. It when I got out that I froze and didn't feel warm until I had a long hot shower.
Today was better. I got in twice so far and actually began sculling. My mantra is "relax and think".
I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment